Delays and Closures
When inclement weather hits Yakima, many YSD staff are up (very) early consulting with city management, driving the bus routes and putting teams in place to best remove safety hazards at our buildings.
Our procedure includes making a delay or closure decision by 5:30a.m. but often it is made by 5:00a.m.
What is the procedure for determining to close school due to inclement weather? Check our policy here: Operational Procedure 2221 - Emergency School Closure (PDF).
We post messaging about delays and/or closures to (in this order):
- YSD Mobile App (with push notification): Instructions for download https://www.yakimaschools.org/MobileApp
- The district and school websites: www.YakimaSchools.org
- District Facebook: www.facebook.com/yakimasd
- District Twitter: www.Twitter.com/yakimaschools
- District Instagram: www.Instagram.com/yakimaschools
- Local Media - We send our message to local media via the FlashAlert system (view media list)
- Closure Line: 509-573-7000, PRESS 1 and listen for message (AFTER 5:30a.m.)
We realize there are many opinions as to when we should delay, close or remain open in full operation. We take this decision very seriously and do our best to keep school open and on time. However, should we need to close school, we will make up each day lost. Please check the district calendar for a listing of designated snow make-up days. If we do not need to make up days, there will be no school on the scheduled snow make-up days. We do not make up time from delays.
If the weather is poor, allow extra time to get where you need to be and make sure you have prepared your children with warm coats, boots, hats and gloves. To prepare for delays and closures, please make sure you have a care plan in place for your children should you need to report to your employment. It's also time to be prepared for winter driving.
During the winter, we often run "Snow Routes" for our buses. Keep in mind that the buses do their best to stay on schedule but will drive slowly and safely. Please be prepared for possible delays at your bus stops. If a route is more than 30 minutes behind, an update will be posted to our transportation web page. If we run snow routes in the morning, we will stay on snow routes in the afternoon. Please be familiar with your child's snow route: View Yakima School District Bus Routes.
2019-20 Delays & Closures
Thursday, January 16, 2020: YSD is OPEN and ON TIME. Bus routes 2 and 8 are on snow routes (am/pm).
Fri, Dec 20, 2019: YSD is on a two-hour delay. No morning preschool and no morning session at YV-TECH. Morning bus routes 2 and 8 are on snow routes. Staff is to report as close to on time as is safely possible.
ESL classes at Barge, MLK, and Washington this evening (12/19/19).
Dec 19, 2019, Expect delays for all bus routes due to inclement weather and slow traffic.
- Rt 2 is stopped on Pecks Canyon. Parents of riders are being notified. No impact or injuries, but stopped.
- Rt 23 running 45 minutes late
- Rt 55 stopped. Parents of riders are being notified. No impact or injuries but stopped.
Dec 19, 2019, Davis Wrestling DID travel to Wenatchee, however, they moved match times up in order to get home earlier.
Dec 19, 2019, All Middle School Athletics are canceled.
Dec 19, 2019, Wilson Band Concert is canceled
Dec 19, 2019, Eisenhower Band Concert is canceled