Yamate Japanese Exchange 2020
YAMATE TO YAKIMA April 2020
Yakima School District will again be hosting students from Yamate Gakuin High School in Yokohama, Japan Spring of 2020 (April 10 to April 24, 2020). Approximately 80 students will arrive in April of 2020 and spend two weeks with host families throughout the valley. This exchange has been occurring every three years for nearly 50 years!
Activities For Yamate Students While in Yakima
- Welcome Ceremony for Host Families to Connect With Yamate Students
- Student/Host Social & T-shirt Screening at Davis Commons (Hosts provide plain t-shirts for screen-printing).
- City Council Meeting - Proclamation -Yamate and Yakima Leaders only
- School Board Meeting -Proclamation -Yamate and Yakima Leaders only
- Day Trip 1 – (local for Yamate students only) - Nature Field Trip
- Day Trip 2 – (trip for Yamate students only) - Seattle Field Trip
- Yamate Cultural Show - Free and public is encouraged to attend
Download an application to apply to host 2 Japanese students from April 10 to April 24, 2020: 2020 Host Application Note: April 10 is the last day of Spring Break and April 12 is Easter. Please plan accordingly.
YAKIMA TO YAMATE August 8 (we leave August 7) to August 22 (Saturday), 2020
If you are a student who is will be an incoming 10th, 11th or 12th grader in July 2020, (incoming 9th graders are permitted if space allows), you are eligible to apply to join us in Japan for the return trip to Yamate Gakuin High School in Yokohama. The cost of the trip is typically around $2,000 (depends on airfare costs at the time of reservation) plus students like to bring another $300-$500 for spending money and souvenirs. Yakima School District students are prioritized but if there is room, students from
The district does not do any fundraising for this trip as payment is the family's responsibility however you are welcome to fundraise as a family or combine with other students from your school. Space is limited to 40 students. A waiting list will be created to 1) show program expansion interest and 2) to allow for students to fill in should one of the 40 accepted students not be able to make the trip in the final stages. To hold a spot, you must have your application, a copy of your passport, proof of medical insurance coverage and your profile sheet filled out and turned in with a deposit of $1,000. If your application is not approved, your deposit will be refunded in full. If your application is approved, the remaining amount owed will be due September 1, 2019 (airfare will be purchased by YSD at this time). After airfare is purchased, refunds may not be available. The first opportunity to turn in an application is on the first day of school (Yakima School District) in 2018.
Application priority determination:
- Preference will be given to Yakima School District students however students from other districts are welcome to apply and will be included if space allows.
- Application priority will be given to those who commit to hosting two Japanese students in their home (or a friend or family member's home) when they visit for 2 weeks in April 2020.
- Application priority will also be given to siblings of students who have participated in previous trips.