Davis High School: Modernization
The major modernization of Davis High School is one of the projects that Yakima voters approved by passing the 2009 school bond. In addition to the Davis project, the district-wide plan included the replacement of Eisenhower High School, replacement of Stanton Academy, and extensive work at Garfield, Hoover, McKinley and Nob Hill elementary schools, as well as the Discovery Lab School.
Location: Davis High School sits on property located between 6th and 7th avenues and Pine and Walnut. On the perimeter of this site, you will find baseball and soccer fields to the south, tennis courts to the east, and staff and student parking to the west. The current enrollment at Davis is approximately 2124.
Condition: The school first opened its doors as A.C.Davis High School in 1957. Since that time, there were additions and/or renovations in 1967, 1971, 1976 and 1996. Issues facing Davis include: infrastructure reaching end of useful life (heating, ventilation, cooling, electrical power); inadequate systems (telecommunications, technology support, security, safety); and inadequate teaching spaces (both insufficient in number and out of date).
Principal: Ryan McDaniel, 573-2501
Scope of Project: Modernization (the project was completed in phases in order to keep students on campus)
Current Facility Size: 244,076 square feet
Facility Size: 326,105 square feet
Budget: $97 million
Architectural Firm: Loofburrow Wetch Architects of Yakima
Construction Completion: September 2015
Dedication: September 21, 2015 View Dedication Program