Davis High School Policies
Davis High School recognizes that there is a direct and substantial correlation between school attendance and academic achievement. We believe that discussions, classroom activities, and cooperative learning experiences are not replicable and are a vital and integral element of the learning experience. We also recognize that students who develop excellent attendance habits experience greater success both in school and after graduation.
In our school, instructional time is viewed as a precious resource. Consequently, we view chronic tardiness as a barrier to your student’s success.
Thank you for your support in ensuring your child makes maximum use of class time. School begins at 8:00 a.m. Beginning the day promptly is important and demonstrates a commitment to success.
The first time your child is tardy 5 times in a week:
- A warning from a building administrator and a letter will be sent home.
The second time your child is tardy 5 times in a week:
- Tutoring will be assigned after school
The third time your child is tardy 5 times in a week:
- A parent conference will be scheduled.
If a student is chronically absent, that is missing more than nine (9) days of school in a semester, it will have an adverse impact on academic achievement. While recognizing the direct correlation between regular attendance and student achievement, grades will reflect student competency of content. We also value the importance of our students participating in extra-curricular activities to further enhance their educational experience and personal growth. If an absence occurs for any reason, it is the responsibility of the student and parent/guardian to properly communicate with the school.
Definition of Excused Absence:
- Personal illness
- In cases where excused absences are extraordinarily frequent and excessive, a physician's excuse will be required
- Family emergency
- School sponsored events, counselor or administrator appointments, support groups.
- Health appointments
- Verification is needed from the medical office
- Court appointments
- Verification is needed from court official
- Approved pre-arranged absences
- Approval denied if student has 5 or more absences
*Students have the right to make up work from excused absences.
Definition of Unexcused Absence:
Missing the bus, oversleeping, automobile problems, baby-sitting, etc. are not excusable reasons for being absent or tardy, unless considered an emergency situation by the school. Any absence not cleared within two school days of the absence will be determined unexcused. Skipping class or required assemblies is considered an unexcused absence.
*Teachers will take attendance within the first 15 minutes of each class period and report the absences via Skyward attendance.
It is the responsibility of the student and his/her parents or guardians to provide a phone call and/or written note that describes the reason for the absence. Students have two school days to bring in an excuse for an absence. Any absence that has not been cleared in two school days will be considered a truancy and carry the appropriate consequence according to district policy.
Students are required to clear an absence and pick up an Admit Slip in the office when they return to school. Slips must be picked up before school begins. Students must present the Admit Slip to each teacher in each of their classes (this applies to block days, 6-period days, and variable schedule days). If a student does not have an Admit Slip when they arrive to class, they will be sent back to the Attendance Office to get one, resulting in a tardy. The Admit Slip will be specifically marked to reflect an excused or unexcused absence.
Leaving school during the day: When checking out of school, the student must have a note or confirm with a phone call from a parent/guardian verified by a secretary or administrator prior to leaving school. Leaving school without checking with the Attendance Office is considered truancy.
Pre-arranged appointment: Bring note from parent or guardian to the Attendance Office before school starts for the day. Take orange Pass Slip to teacher of class student will be leaving from. Upon return to school that day, student checks in with Attendance Office for pass back to class.
Consequences of Unexcused Absences
- Students can not make up the work during an unexcused absence, and no credit will be given for the day.
- When a student has one or more unexcused absences, the parent/guardian will be contacted and Saturday School may be assigned.
- When a student receives a second unexcused absence, the parent/guardian will be contacted and a conference held with parent/guardian, student, and Truancy Specialist and in-school suspension may be assigned.
- When a student receives a third unexcused absence, the parent/guardian will be contacted, In-School suspension may be assigned. The student and parent/guardian must also meet with a Peer Truancy Board and establish an attendance contract, including consequences.
- When a student receives a fourth unexcused absence, the consequence established in the attendance contract will be followed.
- When a student receives a fifth unexcused absence, the BECCA process begins (potential alternative placement, long-term suspension, and/or expulsion).
- Excess unexcused absence is subject to RCW 28A.255 - A "becca bill" petition will be filed with juvenile court on the 5th unexcused absence within a month or the 10th unexcused absence in a school year.
Occasionally Davis and YV Tech schedules may conflict. The general rule is to follow Davis Schedule unless prior arrangements have been made.