In 1903, a school was built on the corner of 16th and Summitview and it was named Summitview School. In 1921, the school board changed the name of the school to Roosevelt to honor Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president of the United States. A new building was constructed in 1937, alongside the older building to house a cafeteria, classrooms and gymnasium. The old building was torn down in 1954. The second "old" building was torn down in 1991 to make way for the current facility that opened that same year. School historians have preserved a pictorial history of Roosevelt; photographs displayed in the hallway near the administration suite portray this school building from 1903 to the present.